Saturday, August 4, 2012

Raven Fringe Collar

I’ve been focusing a lot on destashing accents and seed beads recently, rather than some of the tougher to use focals and single beads that are still remaining. Last week, I decided it was time to tackle the last of my black vitrail Czech daggers. I absolutely adore these beads, but they’re not the kind of accents you add to just any project. Both the shape and the finish are a little on the intense side, so they’ve been waiting around for just the right design.

Daggers and Seed Beads


When using up beads like these, the trick is not to fit them into a piece, but to design around them. I started by choosing the seed beads that would back them up, and went with a single, equally bold color. The hank of deep blue 12/o Czech seeds that I purchased recently seemed just right. The color is similar to Montana sapphire, and makes the perfect complement to mysterious black vitrail.

To make sure that every dagger got used, I added them to the edge of a chevron collar. I wasn’t quite sure how the change in seed bead size would affect the shape of the beadwork, so I didn’t attempt any fancy patterns. After a few base rows, I added a dagger to every outside loop until they were gone. As I suspected, the 12/o seeds created a slightly different drape, so I finished the necklace off with right angle weave extenders.

Blue Raven Collar


Do you like to use dagger beads in your work? What’s your favorite stitch to pair them with?

Copyright 2012 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


6 comments:

  1. This is SO beautiful!!!!

    I like dagger beads, and just bought my first strand, but have no clue what to do with them yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous as always! I love to use dagger beads. Usually I use them as fringe with peyote or right angle weave work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely necklace! I like the clean, elegant lines. The daggers look very pretty used this way.

    Myself I tend just to use daggers for flowers (have two tutes for that on my blog BTW), but want to try something else.

    Recently I bought 11 mm daggers on a strand and being bored, I twisted the strand. The effect was pretty cool, though maybe too chunky for jewellery. And you need lots of daggers to do a whole bracelet or necklace that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a stunning necklace, Morti. Light and airy but with plenty of presence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently made a bracelet that was just a strip of RAW, using 4-6mm firepolish for the beads down the middle, and a row of daggers along each side, with seed beads as needed to even out the units. Looking at the bracelet vertically, the FPs form the north and south edges of each unit with daggers sticking out at east and west. The daggers created a sort of floppy edging. I used smaller dagger beads, I think they give the dimensions as 3x11mm, so it's not too floppy; still, I considered running through them again with fireline (I don't care to do that "future floor polish" trick - I am sensitive and avoid chemicals as much as possible). But people seem to enjoy the drape so I'll probably keep it as-is. I really enjoy RAW with varied sizes and shapes of beads.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com